Sunday 6 May 2018

West and East

Hello lovely people!

I hope you all have had an amazing week, filled with sunshine ๐Ÿ˜Š In this post, I want to share with you my experience in Western Germany, tell you a bit about my trip to Leipzig and just in general what I've been up to, the past few days.

So, a couple of weeks ago, towards the end of April, I went to Dusseldorf/ Cologne to visit Shani. I was really scared to go, as it was the first time I have went somewhere far from home on the train. I know what you're thinking, '22 and she's never been anywhere on the train by herself' ๐Ÿ˜‚. I can't really believe it myself sometimes. But I think it's a lot to do with the fact that since I've moved to Germany I have become so much more open to new experiences. Back home, I would have never gone somewhere without Lee. Or even thought about visiting a new city by myself. But I guess that's another thing that has changed about me while being here. I've said that I would go visit Shani months ago, and I did it. It was so fun. Another thing that has concerned me about the train journey, was the fact that there was a high possibility that my train could have got cancelled. About 2 days before I left, I've read in the news that the construction workers in Berlin have found a huge bomb from the Second World War, and that the bomb was going to be defused on Friday at Berlin Hauptbahnhof. Which was literally the same day that I was supposed to leave, from the same train station. Of course, I wasn't going to be calm about this. Like always I've had scenarios planned in my head. Without even speaking to anyone I just 'knew' that my train was cancelled. Even though it wasn't. Luckily, I have booked my train for 4 am, which at the time didn't seem ideal, but I didn't want to be away from home for more than 3 days. So, I just booked an early train, so that I could see most of the things on Friday and Saturday. It was such a smart thing to do because all the trains from 8am onwards have been cancelled, so I was lucky that time.

When I got to Dusseldorf, I had to get 2 more trains. Shani lives right in between Dusseldorf and Cologne, in a small village/ town called Leichlingen. It was such a cute place, although there was not much to do there. Again, I was really scared to get the train by myself, but it was all okay. I'm willing to do this by myself more often now. Later, in the evening, we went to Dusseldorf for cocktails and some food. The weather has been absolutely beautiful over the weekend. We also went on a boat and to a shisha bar. ๐Ÿ’•
















The day after that, we got on the train to Cologne. I think we have spent a whole day there. I didn't want to leave that place. It was so nice. The cathedral is as big as people say it is. I went inside of it and it sort of reminded me of the cathedral in Vatican. We also went on the famous Hohenzollern Bridge, which was right next to the train tracks. The view was just incredible.๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ





















 On my last day there, of course something had to go wrong.๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’ I don't know if it's because I was having so much fun there, and it was sort of like a punishment. Or because it just wasn't my day. God knows, but I don't know what on earth was happening, I was just having some real bad luck. We woke up quite late with Shani on Sunday. The plan was to see Wuppertal which is where she actually works. Then we were going to get a direct train from there to Dusseldorf, as my coach back to Berlin was leaving at ten to 4. While we were in Starbucks in Wuppertal, I just got this weird feeling like, I needed to check the time and the trains again. Lee always laughs at me, because every time we need to get a bus, a train or a flight somewhere. I'm one of these weird people that likes to be there an hour or 2 before. It's just how I’ am. Always have been like that. I like to be organised. But anyway, as I was checking the trains, suddenly they have cancelled the train that I was supposed to get to Dusseldorf. I had a little panic attack. Everything I was checking after this train on the Deutsche Bahn App, would have got me there like 10mins after my coach leaves. I was so stressed out by this point. I couldn't stop shaking. I felt like crying. I could feel my face sweating. Everything was just so awful. I just feel sorry for Shani, for having to see me in that state. It was so bad.๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ Luckily, we managed to find a train that would have got me to Dusseldorf like 15 minutes before my coach was supposed to leave. It sort of calmed me down a bit. But I genuinely for a minute thought. I'm going to be stuck on the other side of the country for one more day. When I can't really afford to miss any more days or more money to pay for another ticket. The flix bus that I got was a cheaper option than a train and to be honest, it probably wouldn't cost me that much to pay for another ticket to go back on Monday. But I don't think it was anything to do with that. I just really hate situations where something doesn't go as it's planned. So, I know for a fact that if I missed this train, I would have been devastated. Luckily, we made it. But I can tell you all now, never trust the German transport system.๐Ÿš„๐Ÿš๐ŸšŒ When I first moved here, I thought it was really good at the time. But honestly, the amount of times I've had trains cancelled, buses not turning up or leaving the bus stop 2 minutes before they are supposed to. It's an absolute joke. Like with this train in Dusseldorf. They literally leave it till last minute to tell you that the transport has been cancelled. And no one likes to be stuck somewhere, waiting for a long time, not knowing what to do in this circumstance. So, if you're coming to Germany, make sure you have other alternatives and that you download the Deutsche Bahn App on your phone. This app has saved me so much while being here. As it tells you exactly what journeys are cancelled, which platform you need to go to and whether you need to change from bus/trains to u-bahns, etc... In addition to that, when I got to Potsdam, we missed a bus to Golm, so we had to wait at a bus stop for another 40 minutes. By the time I got home it was like 2am. And that was only because the bus got there earlier than it should have. I was just so angry and tired by this point. It was a great trip, but towards the end I just could not wait to be back at home.

On Tuesday 1st of May, together with Lee and some of my friends we decided to have a little road trip to Leipzig.๐ŸšŒ✈ 1st of May is a bank holiday here in Germany- as it's a National Workers Day and luckily Lee was off from work. ๐ŸŽŠ So, we thought it would be a good day to go somewhere new and do a bit of exploring. It was a nice day out. We came back to Potsdam on the same day and got the coach there quite early in the morning, so we had plenty of time to see everything that Leipzig has to offer. Unfortunately, we didn't realise that everything would be closed as it was a bank holiday. Only restaurants and cafes were open. And the next day in my Translation class, my German friend showed me videos of people in Berlin demonstrating and all the street parties that were taking place on the 1st. It's a big celebration here in Berlin, so I do in a way feel like I've missed out by going to Leipzig. Everyone on this day seems to be coming to Berlin, not the other way around so I was a bit gutted. But I'm glad I went to see another city. It was great to see something new.๐Ÿ’›










                                               











Both Leipzig/ Cologne and Dusseldorf have been amazing. And there is so much to do in all of them. Leipzig is a bit of a mix. Some parts of it in a way reminded me of Nottingham. Other parts looked a bit like the Polish cities in the West. But in general, Leipzig seemed very relaxed and interesting. It's worth a visit. But I must say, Cologne has made the best impression on me. I think I have genuinely feel in love with that city and with North- Rhine Westphalia.๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Some of the views that I have seen while being there have been phenomenal. As soon as I got off the train and saw the cathedral, I was just so impressed with the city. It has a bit of everything. On top of that the people just seem so much happier there. I don't know if it's because the weather was nice, and everyone was out but that was the impression that I got. In the East, German citizens don't really like it when they hear you speak in English. Which is fine with me, as I always speak to everyone I come across in German. But I can just feel this negative vibe. Even sometimes when I'm walking to the shop with Lee and we're talking to each other, a lot of the times people are staring at us. Some also seem to always be unhappy. If there is an issue, they will point it out even when it has nothing to do with them. Like they feel it's their priority to be involved. For example; if you're in a shop and you change your mind about buying something and don't put it back in the right spot, I can guarantee you someone will say something to you about it or give you evils until you put it back in the right place. It's things like that, that I've noticed aren't really an issue in the West. When I went for cocktails with Shani, a bartender asked us where we were from, and as soon as we said we was from UK, he looked really surprised that we spoke in German to him. Like it was so strange to do that. In my opinion, I think they are just more tolerable towards people like me, that don't speak the language fluently but are always trying. And towards the tourists. Obviously, I'm not saying everyone is like that. I have met some really nice and understanding people here in Potsdam. Like the lady in a bank the other day. Lee has lost his debit card, so we had to report it and find out when we would be receiving the letter with new bank information. And I spoke to the lady in German but there were some bits that I was struggling with, and she was so nice and helpful. So, no, I'm not stereotyping people and saying everyone is the same in the East. But I'm just sharing my assumption from what I could see so far. North Rhine- Westphalia is a really cool place to live in and so is Berlin, people just live differently in both parts of the country ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š

The main reason why I would not want to be living in Cologne/ Dusseldorf and why I'm so happy with the fact that I've chosen to do a study placement this year, is mainly the travel costs. With being a student, I get free travel around Brandenburg (I mean it's not free as I did have to pay at the start of my semester), but it was nothing like what I would have to pay if I wasn't a student. An all-day ticket in Berlin is 7.70 and you can use it around Potsdam, which is pretty good as it is a different city. However, I only had to pay 200 euros for 6 months due to the fact that I’m a student. From Dusseldorf to Leichlingen, I had to pay 13 euros for an all-day ticket. And that would not even get me to Cologne. If I wanted to travel safely to both Dusseldorf and Cologne, I would have to pay around 30 euros for an all-day ticket. Absolutely crazy. Can you imagine paying that much money every day if you're not a student. I mean, you do get your own extra money if you work but it would still be sooo expensive. In a way I'm so glad I went for a study placement instead. On top of that, after hearing about some of the experiences that Shani had to go through, I feel like I have made the best choice ever. I don't want to discourage any of you that are thinking about doing a work placement. If you feel like that's something you are willing to try, then definitely go for it. But me as a person, knowing full well how stressed I get sometimes, I just know I would not enjoy it. I don't understand why the travel tickets are so expensive in the West. You would think that the capital would be a lot more expensive than any other place in Germany. But it's actually the other way around. So, I think that's one thing that would ever put me off living in Western Germany.๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ˜’ Other than that, everything was great. I would definitely like to come back to Cologne, with Lee at some point. While being there I have seen so many English tourists and they looked like they were really enjoying themselves. And on top of that there is so much history there. It's a perfect place to visit, so was Dusseldorf.

My time at the university has also been pretty great.๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„ I'm really enjoying my lectures/ seminars this semester. Mondays and Thursdays are my busiest days. But I get Fridays off now, which I'm very pleased about :) This Friday, I went to a fair in Werder with my friends, called Baumblรผtenfest. It's the biggest folk festival in Brandenburg county. It was so fun, and I don't think I have ever seen such a variety of wines, which were only 6 euros (for a bottle). There was also lots of rides, souvenirs and a stage. I've enjoyed myself, but I must say I think this festival is very popular amongst the 16-18-year old's. When we got closer to the stage, I genuinely felt so old. There were teenagers everywhere. But it was still good. I think I will be going back there today, as it's the last day, and the weather is still so amazing here.๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž๐Ÿ’™



Yesterday, I also went for a picnic with Lee. We've been living in Germany for so long now and we literally had no idea that there is a lake about 10 minutes from our house. One of my friends actually went there for a bike ride and that's how we found out. So again, we took advantage of the fact that the weather has been so great and went for a picnic.๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒŠ It was such a beautiful little place. And I like the fact that not so many people go there. Most people tend to go to Babelsberg or other places with lakes. So, it was nice to relax there in peace. Next time, I want to go for a swim in the lake, as I've seen so many people doing that and most of them look like they're having the time of their life. On our way there we also saw some cute cows that we just had to take a picture with haha ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฎ












So far, I'm loving May here in Germany. I think it's a very festive month full of celebrations and bank holidays. I'm off next Thursday, then on the 21st of May, as they are both Bank Holidays. I haven't got anything planned so far but knowing me I will probably be going somewhere soon or there will be something happening in Berlin. In June, Lee is going back to UK for good, so we're literally taking advantage of every opportunity that's available. I can't wait to see what the next few weeks will bring ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐ŸŒ

Thank you for reading my post, MR x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Passing it on...

Hello everyone! This is officially my last blog post, and before it ends I just want to briefly mention some of my achievements from...