Sunday 17 September 2017

The Big Move


The Big Move!

Hello lovely people!

First of all, I want to start by saying what this blog is actually all about, and what's the main purpose of it. Officially I'm a Nottingham Trent University student, that has recently moved to Germany for my year abroad. Hoping that in the near future I will be able to speak fluently in 3 languages :). I have never wrote a blog before, so I do apologise if none of this is going to make any sense. It's all very new to me, just like living in another country is.

The past few days have been a bit of a roller coaster. I've been here in Potsdam for about a week now, but I still feel like this is a holiday, which is going to end very soon. I came here on Wednesday the 13th of September. My boyfriend has moved here 2 days before me, due to the fact that he is now working for Basecamp student accommodation, and his training was taking place earlier than when we have officially planned to go. I got a flight from East Midlands, to Berlin Schonefeld, then when I got there I had to get a train from the airport to Hauptstation in Berlin. It was so stressful because it was the first time I had to get a train by myself, which was all very confusing. Even though it was a short distance. I can be very blonde sometimes when it comes to directions or getting public transport by myself , so it was a funny but stressful at the same time experience. My boyfriend was waiting for me in Berlin and it was so good to see him, even though we was only apart for 2 days. We have both stayed the first night in Crowne Plaza hotel in Berlin, mainly because we have this weird obsession with that beautiful city. If you are reading this, and have never been to Berlin, I definitely recommend going!!! Berlin is full of culture and history. It's amazing to think how such a beautiful city, was divided for so long. And on top of that the people are so genuine and nice. Only thing that bothers me is every time I try to speak in German, every response I get is in English. Which is good for those that cannot say a word in Deutsch, but not so beneficial for a German undergraduate student.. My favourite areas are Alexanderplatz, Denkmal für die ermodeten Juden, The Berlin Wall (of course!) and Potsdamer Platz. There is always something good to find in these areas. We obviously had to go and see all of them, before we have moved to Potsdam. It's our tradition :D

The day after that, we took the metro from Potsdamer Platz, to Hauptstation - then directly went from there to Potsdam. As soon as we have arrived, it's all been a bit emotional to me, probably because it was a big realisation to me that this is where I'm going to stay for 1 year, and I really do miss home, my friends and family. Oh and on top of that my accommodation is not even sorted yet, so we are pretty much living at a building site at the minute. Apart from that everything else seems okay, the people we have met so far from Basecamp( place where we are staying) seem lovely. We have already found a big supermarket and a cafe not far from where me and my partner are living. The train station is about a 2 minute walk so it's all good. Hopefully I can get use to this sooner or later.

The weather is completely different here, than in England. It was a bit rainy the first day I came here, but after that it's been so nice and sunny. Can't believe it's so hot in September, but then again the weather is quite similar here to the Polish weather. As some of you probably don't know I officially come from Poland so I'm use to living in a country, where the summers are really hot and the winters are really cold, which is quite the opposite to the British weather. September is normally quite warm in Poland and Germany, as it's still classed as a summer month. Therefore, I'm glad I will get to experience a bit more sun before it gets really really cold. :) :) :)

Due to the weather being so good we have decided to go into Potsdam yesterday, to explore our new home and have found some beautiful parks, the castle and a Potsdam version of Brandenburger Tor. That was really cool. There was also a street food festival near the train station so we went there for a couple of hours. It was nice to get out the house and see something new. Although, I'm still a bit scared to speak in German. I've tried in restaurants and said a couple of simple words in Deutsch to a few people. But like i said it's all pretty new to me. And I don't feel like I'm confident enough yet to have a proper conversation with someone. Hopefully that will change soon and who knows maybe in a couple of weeks my German will improve so much, I will be able to speak and understand most people :) Time will tell... I'm glad I have the chance to experience this adventure with my best friend though. That makes it so much better :)







Thanks for taking your time to read this today, Martyna x

3 comments:

  1. Yaaay you managed to write a post! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah. don't think its the best one but hopefully will get better at this :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Passing it on...

Hello everyone! This is officially my last blog post, and before it ends I just want to briefly mention some of my achievements from...